How to Measure a Garage Door
Below are five easy steps to measure you garage door size. If you have any questions, just give us a call – we are happy to help!
Step 1: Measure the width of the opening at the widest point. This is the distance between the right and left sides of the finished opening. For best results, the inside of the garage door opening should be framed with 2″ x 6″ wood. Look for general irregularities, such as jambs which are not square.
Step 2: Measure the height of the opening at the highest point. This is the distance between the floor and the top of the finished opening. Look for general irregularities, such as un-level floor.
Step 3: Measure the width of the areas beside the openings. Up to 5″ is required on each side for installation of the vertical track. If this is a 2-door installation, center post should be a min. of 10″ wide.
Step 4: Measure the area between the top of the door opening and the ceiling (or to the lowest obstruction at ceiling). See headroom requirements for track radius below.
Step 5: Measure the distance from the opening to the rear of the garage or nearest obstruction. For sectional type doors, the backroom requirement is the door height plus an additional 18″ for manual lift doors. If an electric opener is to be installed, the door’s backroom requirement is the door height plus an additional 4’2″.
Additional items to observe:
- Verify electrical outlet for door opener use.
- Note any lights or stairs in the way.
- Note any swing doors that may impede the track when opening into the garage
- Verify all wood jambs are in good condition, header is stable.
- Verify the level of the floor.
- Note any pipes, ductwork, etc. above the door that might obstruct operation of the door.
*PLEASE CONSULT GREAT NORTHERN DOOR FOR TIPS ON HOW TO MEASURE AN ARCHED OPENING TO GET THE PROPER RADIUS*.
HEADROOM FOR PROPER TRACK RADIUS
- Low Headroom Track (Min of 8” to 13”).
- 12” Radius Track (13” to 16”)
- 15” Radius Track (Min of 16”).
- 32” radius, high lift, follow the pitch track available upon request. Please consult Great Northern Door for specifications.